SEO Tips for Designing a Top Ranking E-commerce
Website by Rosemary Donald
Websites that achieve top rankings on the first
page of search engine results on Google, Yahoo & MSN ultimately
have common attributes that set them apart from their competitors. Top
ranking websites typically have:-
• A great website design and content
• Website visitors flock to their websites and more importantly enjoy
• Learned how to successfully market and promote their website online
with little or no paid advertising.
• Learned how to easily build their customer bases and attract repeat
• Worked out how to effectively optimize their website for the search
• Learned the ‘insider secrets’ of how to rank well on the search
engines and stay there.
This article will examine the key website design features that help
create a Top Ranking Website. From an SEO perspective at a very minimum
ensure you include full content management, a marketing module and
comprehensive website statistics in your initial website design.
Key design specifications of Rank 1 Websites
1. Complete content management control – including the ability to add,
edit and delete pages, boxes, tables, hyperlinks and the footer in
‘real time’ without the need for a programmer. Plus the ability to add
hyperlinks to pages, images and documents.
2. Customer databases – to collect member and customer contact
information for ordering and direct marketing purposes.
3. Marketing module – to send out emails, monthly newsletters, product
updates, order notifications, dispatch notifications and new member
letters to customers & members in your customer databases.
4. Comprehensive website statistics – to monitor the daily, weekly and
monthly progress of your website’s SEO campaign, online marketing
campaigns, linking campaigns and site popularity. An excellent website
statistic collection software tool is ‘Awstats’.
5. Visually appealing home page design that incorporates your company
6. The inclusion of a footer at the bottom of the home page and
subsequent web pages for search engine optimization.
7. Fast website download speed for web pages, images and documents to
reduce the incidence of ‘bounce out’ traffic.
8. Easy to use site navigation with a flat site hierarchy .ie. each
page is accessible from only 1 to 3 clicks away from the home page.
9. A home page design with a mix of text and images ideally in a 60/40
ratio .ie. 60% text and 40% images/graphics for maximizing keyword text
content for SEO.
10. Easy to view font style, font colour and background colour in the
website design and content.
11. Easy to navigate shopping cart software
12. A currency converter for international trade
13. Automatic payment gateways for credit card processing and Paypal in
‘real time’ with flexible payment options for customers.
14. SSL Certificates installed and logos prominently displayed for
secure online ordering.
15. A professional website design versus a DIY website design –
professionally designed websites attract higher website traffic levels,
higher online sales, higher site popularity and better search engine
rankings than DIY website designs. Allow $10,000 AU for a
professionally designed E-commerce website with branding specialist
16. A website design that accommodates the global reach of the Internet
– ie. English translations of site content, a currency converter,
economical freight delivery methods for international customers,
automatic calculations of freight costs, compatible payment methods for
17. Member logins – to facilitate easier ordering from customers
especially repeat sales, direct marketing purposes and wholesale logins
(if required) to keep your wholesale prices confidential from the
general public and competitors.
18. Avoid the use of ‘Pop-ups’ – for adding products to the shopping
cart, online forms and product images as some Internet protection
software on a User’s PC can block pop-ups and interfere with the
browsing experience, the ability to complete online forms and place
online orders. Program pages & images to ‘refresh’ rather than
pop-up in your website design.
19. Interesting & fresh website content for your website
visitors – including clear detailed product photographs &
product descriptions, interesting page content relevant to your
products/services and industry, free articles of interest and PDF
downloads, DIY projects if applicable, promotion of specials, affiliate
advertising, complimentary reciprocal links and resource pages.
Tip – Select a horizontal page
orientation for your website design that fills up the entire internet
explorer browser window or alternatively ensure that you minimize the
gaps running down either side of a vertical page orientation site
design. The reasoning behind this is that eyes of users are
automatically drawn to negative spaces before they focus on filled
spaces. You can also add boxes to balance out and fill any negative
spaces on the outer left and right hand side of home page designs.
These boxes can be filled with information about specials, promotions,
affiliate advertising, sales and so on.
Remember that first impressions, in particular a great home page design
will determine whether website visitors stay to explore your website
further or ‘bounce out’ in the first 60 seconds, that’s all the
opportunity you have.
For more detailed information on the key design features of top ranking
websites see my SEO ebook the ‘Insider Secrets of Rank 1 Websites’ by
Rosemary Donald for just $29.95 AU.
© Rosemary Donald, Rank1 Website Marketing 12th September 2007
Article Source: http://www.articlesbase.com/ecommerce-articles/
About the Author
Rosemary Donald is an SEO Consultant with Rank1
Website Marketing (www.rank1websitemarketing.com) and author of the SEO
ebook ‘Insider Secrets of Rank 1 Websites’. Rosemary is a regular
contributor of SEO articles on search engine optimization, SE tactics,
search engine guidelines, link building, website marketing, website
design & development, and ecommerce.
Rosemary Donald is also a successful online trader and owner of top
ranking website www.sabujewellery.com since 2004.